Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thursday's Pick


Today's Pick is...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
by Mo Willems
This Caldecott Honor book is a brilliantly simple read that people of all ages can enjoy. The bus driver has to leave for a while, and he makes one request of readers: "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus." It's the height of common sense, but the driver clearly knows this determined pigeon and readers do not-yet. "Hey, can I drive the bus?" asks the bird, at first all sweet reason, and then, having clearly been told no by readers, he begins his ever-escalating, increasingly silly bargaining. "I tell you what: I'll just steer," and "I never get to do anything," then "No fair! I bet your mom would let me." In a wonderfully expressive spread, the pigeon finally loses it, and, feathers flying and eyeballs popping, screams "LET ME DRIVE THE BUS!!!" in huge, scratchy, black-and-yellow capital letters. The driver returns, and the pigeon leaves in a funk-until he spies a huge tractor trailer, and dares to dream again.
Other books include:
Don't Let the Pigeon Eat the Hot Dog!
and
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

No comments:

Post a Comment